Tuesday, March 9, 2010

We'll miss you, DAD! From Sharon

I met Joy Sevy in May of 1993, the week before I became engaged to Cam. We had gone to Hyrum to visit and found out they were in their trailer in town. It was REALLY late when we got there, but they opened their door and invited us in. Cam went back to wake Joy up, and I visited with Alberta. They were nothing if not kind to a nervous person. I didn't know the Sevy way yet : )
We learned to expect Joy when we saw him, and not a minute sooner. We also learned to see him quickly, for he all too often left 10 minutes after he arrived! Many occassions, when we were sleeping, he'd slip off and go on down the road in his own time.
After Cam and I were married, he swept me up in a BIG, TIGHT hug and with that big, gorgeous smile,welcomed me to the family. He treated me like his daughter from that moment on.
A few years back, I went to Mexico for some dental work. I had a cousin go over to Dad and Mom's trailer to leave a note for Dad to see if I could stay with him, since he hadn't hooked up the phone. When I arrived in Yuma, he had left me a note, weighted down with a tuna can. It said, "Mi casa is su casa. Make yourself at home. Love, Joy-0" My 4-day stay lasted 12 days. We went sight-seeing when I didn't have an appointment. WE visited the jail, sat at an outside table to eat ice cream, went to the mall, the flea market and back to Mexico. We went to dinner several nights to Chuck-A-rama (where else?) and had several political debates. One night he actually listened to me! He said "I knew you had a brain, Sis, and tonight you really used it!" High praise from a man I admire. I massaged his shoulders and rubbed his head, and we went to a thrift shop so I could get some tennis shoes. He's signed us up to play in a volleyball tournament together. What a blast! I was more winded than he was at any given point!
I know he was heartbroken when he heard of Cam's accident. It was hard for him to visit and see his son in so much pain. I think he hurt as much emotionally as Cam hurt physically. When he heard of his own injuries, so much like Cam's, I know he didn't want to go through what he had witnessed with Cam. It amazes me that their injuries were so similar!
We got to Phoenix early Saturday morning and dropped Cam off at the hospital so he could sit with Dad. We got a hotel, which happened to be the same one Greg and Maryjoy were at, rooms 5 doors away.
I went to visit later that afternoon, and found Dad's room before I found Mom. I spent some time with Dad, talking and expressing my love to him. I felt him there, but not looking at his body, so still. I took his hand and squeezed it several times. There was absolutely no response. I asked him if he was ready to go, and he squeezed my hand back. First awareness. That night, Cam and I went back in to say goodnight to him. We again expressed our love. I went to his right side and said " Just a few more hours, Dad, and you can go home." At that point, a tear came out of his eye. Second awareness. He was ready to go! I really think he was waiting for the final gathering of his entire family. Oh, how he loved ALL of his children.
It was just like him in death. Had to go on his own time, maybe while we were sleeping, or just not looking. Slipped away on his eternal journey. We will miss you, Joy O'neil Sevy. You made an impact on our lives. I will just give you a virtual BIG hug, as I did when I saw you leave, and say, "See you later, Pop. Love you! " I love you, Dad. See you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment