Monday, March 15, 2010

Grampa Sevy: A Retrospective

I write this the day of my grandfather's funeral, March 15th 2010, also the date of my mother's birthday. Bummer.
It seems the only thing that could take Grampa out was a 2-ton truck. True Grampa style, out with a dramatic flare.
Grampa will be buried here in the hottest place in Canada. He is from California, lived here in the Okanogan, and wintered in Arizona. He must of liked the heat. He should be as happy as Sam McGee buried in the sandy soil of Canadian desert.
This is because Grampa was a flame himself. He was passionate about every little thing in life. He would give you the strongest hug or handshake, with the loudest laugh, then the next minute almost run you over with his truck. He taught you to do things well, to stay on your toes, to look out for No. 1 (yourself), and to not take anything for granted.
If Granpa had one last piece of advice for me he'd say:
"Brig, understand the world, human nature and politics. Do not let a dream pass you by. Do it right or not at all. Love your Father in Heaven."
Even at 84 he was still looking like he was in his 60's and complaining about not being able to do as many push ups and leg squats as he used to. His hair was still golden, and his cheeks still rosie. He was tall, and well toned, and had a friendly, white bushy beard.
Grampa was a natural charmer. He would quickly establish his self as the Alpha Dog in the room, and bring you into his reality. You couldn't help but feel you were in the presence of a free spirit, a fighter, an all-American star.
I will try to be all you have set me up to become Granpa Joy.
I would say I'm 1/3 my Dad, 1/3 my Mom, 1/3 Grampa. If you were to meet my Grampa, it was rare to leave him without dreaming you could have so much faith, determination, individualism, athleticism and charisma as he had.
Thank you Grampa for being such a large part of my life. You were great at being at the right places at the right times in my life: to see us off on our world trek, attending my baptism, seeing me off to my mission to Brazil, coming to Christmases, and the list goes on. Thank you for leaving big shoes to fill, for being individualistic yet warm and welcoming. Thank you for being interested in me, for being overtly generous to all others. I thank you for paving the way for the future, of your family and many others, for generations to come.
Love,
bRiG

No comments:

Post a Comment