Sunday, March 14, 2010

Grampa Joy!

I think this took me a while to write up due to the trauma I saw at the hospital.

Here is a short description of my experience there;

We walked in to Mom in a full body brace, neck to legs. She looked so weak and frail, and it was one of the saddest moments of my life, realizing that she isn't going to be here forever; as I always wish she will be. As we walked in she demanded to hold our newborn baby Emmy and she cried as she did. Thinking of Emma Maryjoy growing up without knowing her name sake was too much to bear. I was so glad that she was released the next day despite her frail state. Poor Mom had to make such tough decisions and deal with so much even in the midst of her pain and confusion. I wept as she did at the thought of Grampa passing. Not so much for me as a grandchild loosing a my Grampa but for her loss as a daughter loosing her father. The very thought of loosing my father made me cry even harder. Age 26 or 56 death or thought of death of a beloved father isn't easy.

Going to see Grama next was even worse. She was hardly recognizable, her fusia purple, black eyes were swollen almost shut. Her irises were shining green with the contrast. She was in a hospital gown and had a brace on her arm, and the news was that she had some unknown injuries, the results were still coming. Despite it all she gave me a smile as I entered. Glen cracked some jokes to test her but despite a few hiccups in memory due to the concussion she was all there.

Seeing Grandpa in the coma was surreal, all but his breath and heart were disabled, and seemed to be dead already. He was laying there on the hospital bed, showing his length as he almost hit the top and bottom. I couldn't believe my eyes, Grampa Joy, the man who I love so deeply despite all his funny quirks, was on his death bed. Who knows what he heard but all I could get out before the tears came was . "I love you Gramps"

One thing I can't help but remember about Grampa is his wonderful smile and how his eyes were so full of excitement and life. There never was a slow moment or a quite one either. He loved to laugh and play, which made him a great companion for children. Jumping from the roof into his arms was obviously a huge step for a child but I knew that there were two big hands ready to grab me and keep me safe. As a child riding on the lawn mower and picking his well loved fruit was fun.

He pushed us to our limits and helped us grow. He tested our courage and strength as he sped on with the motor boat across lake Osoyoos. He was a lover of nature and color, and Mom says that she got her "eye" from. In a way I can attribute my design skills to him via my Mother who is a great designer. He was an adventurer and a "jack of all trades". His love and appreciation for real estate is something anyone should look up to. I hope to be like him in that way.

A natural at everything he did. His love and skill for sports is renown, even the winter before his death he won metals at the Senior Olympics. In their Yuma home, there were many metals hanging on the wall by the fridge. Good job Grampa. You lived the life many only dream of. He was a I can do that kind of man.

We have all had comments about our Barrel Chests. Not the best thing a girl can have but oh well, I did get my "tanned hide" from him thanks Gramps. It is definately a Sevy trait.
I am so grateful for his good genes that he passed on. Health is beyond important and I am grateful that I have it.

Writing this has been difficult, and full of tears. Emotions do show now how much I love my Grampa and miss him already. I am glad to be his namesake "Joy Joy".

Love,

Dana JOY Harris Rusche

No comments:

Post a Comment