Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dear Family by Sister Brianna Harris

I received a voicemail from Dadio on Friday night and I went thru a rollercoaster of emotions as he said, “Grandpa, Grandma and my Mom were in a major accident Wednesday Morning. They were on their way to the Mesa Temple and got rear ended by a Semi truck.” He explained the situation of Gramps being the one who didn’t bounce back out of it well, and that he probably wouldn’t. “Grampa probably will not make it…” The phone message cut out right there, and that didn’t sit well with me. After crying with my companion’s arms around me, I got permission to call back, and Dana comforted me by explaining everything and then I got to talk with Dad again.

Maybe it’s because I’m kind of far away from everyone (in proximity, I’m one of the closest, but I’m really in this missionary world.) but I want to share with you all how I have had comfort enough to go on with the work and teach. Tonight we will be teaching the Plan of Salvation to Alejandra Huerta and her kids, and I’m excited to testify that there really is hope in every trial we go thru. That’s why we can call it the Plan of Happiness, b/c it gives us a sure hope for a better world, and the chance to see our loved ones again. That hope becomes faith when we put it into action. And then when we build on our faith by making and keeping sacred covenants, we then can expect miracles. And when I prayed about Grandpa being alright and everyone else in the family who is hurting, I did receive a miracle, b/c I received a peace. A warmth, that filled me and fills me now, telling me that he’s alright. It’s true. Yes, I’m sad that my children will not be able to know him, or hear his poems and stories, or feel of his big bear hugs, or see his beady blue eyes hidden behind his bushy white eyebrows, but they’ll meet a better Grampa Sevy one day. One day we will all be together, if we live right. If we put our hope into action, and continue on living by faith, we’ll see him.

I’m thankful for the restored Gospel b/c it gives me evidence that this hope of mine is not just a “selfish wish,” or, “a good idea, so that I feel good”. But it’s a fact. It’s the way it is, and we just need to choose to accept it and then make it happen for ourselves. We’re so lucky to have the testimonies of the prophets whose faith was changed to a sure knowledge. From times of old, even until today. We get to read them in the scriptures, and then we even get to hear and learn from living prophets. We have all the tools we need: the scriptures, the priesthood, the temples, General Conferences, church callings classes and of course personal prayer. I’m working on making my prayers more meaningful and listening for at least half the time and I’m feeling the difference. Your browser may not support display of this image.

The family is the most important. My companion Sister Thomas had the lyrics of the song “No Empty Chairs” by Janice Kapp Perry and Orrin G. Hatch. And I thought of our family.



Look around our family table, every person in his place.
Memorize this happy moment, and each familiar face.
Look around our family circle, feel the love that we all share.
Life is sweet, and so complete with each loved one gathered here.

There are no empty chairs at our table,
No empty feelings inside,
When all those we love are together,
Here side by side.

Time will fly and all too quickly, some will leave to try their wings,
Empty places at our table will tug at our heart strings.
But the number at our table will increase as children come,
Bringing to our family table, sweet innocence and fun.

We'll add a few more chairs to our table,
A lot more laughter and love,
As our joy is multiplied daily,
To fill our cup.

When there comes a time for parting, there will be no tears because,
We will set a grander table where all may live in love.
There we'll wait for all our loved ones, who will come to take their place.
At the feast that lasts forever, in God's eternal place.

We'll have no empty chairs at our table,
No empty feelings inside,
When all those we love are together,
There side by side.

May the circle not be broker, may each on return to be,
Safe within this peaceful haven, through all eternity.

We'll have no empty chairs at our table,
When all are gathered above,
No more empty chairs at our table,
In heaven's home of love.

I hope and pray that you’re all well, and we’ll all keep living the Gospel according to our knowledge and testimonies that God has given us. We are truly blessed.

You’re in my prayers. I love you all.

Forever,
Sister Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment