Sunday, May 30, 2010

By Cam

I couldn't help but cry by typing my father's name in the subject line.

My relationship with Dad, Joy O. Sevy, was good. What did I lose by Dad being broken when his camper was rear-ended by that trucker? I lost a great friend and business partner. I lost a counsellor and mentor. I lost an example of how to treat my grandchildren. We lost a pleasant visitor and supporter of our family. I lost my father.

Dad and I did a couple of successful business deals. He helped me learn the real estate investment business and worked with me a number of times. I was considering another deal to talk with him about but our time was cut short due to the accident.

All of my children and grandchildren loved it when "Santa Claus" Grandpa Sevy came to town. He'd tell stories and poems and give all the kids kind and positive words and the occasional gift. Dad was a lot of fun and uplifting. His visits were always looked forward to, enjoyed and all to short.

Osoyoos will never be the same without Dad. He kept the place up with his constant puttering about: keeping the lawns watered and mowed, the trees trimmed, etc. Not only that but he kept our visits pleasant and enjoyable. We loved visiting with Dad and Mom with the rest of the family around the table or the lake-side fire, eating, talking, laughing, singing. Dad's jokes, stories and poems added a great joy to the family reunions. That part is now taken away.

We anticipated having Dad around for at least another 5-7 years. He was healthy, active, and concious about what he ate. Dad was careful about his health because of his severe hatred of hospitals and deep fear of and determination not to become dependent upon anyone. Dad could not have lived in a wheelchair with no control of his bladder, needing someone to change his diaper for him. No way. So he kept himself healthy.

Anyway, the sudden loss of my Father was a real shock. The harm done to my Mother was very serious and damaging physically, mentally, and emotionally. The serious emotional damage to my sister, who blamed herself for Dad's death because she was driving when they were rear-ended, may not heal as quickly even as my 85 year old Mother.

Cameron Sevy

Age 55

No comments:

Post a Comment